Jeffrey Low
email: jeffctlow@yahoo.com



Wednesday, July 29, 2009

SPASMODIC CONVULSIONS IN CAPTIVE SHAMAS

Like other hobbyists, some of my shamas are quite susceptible to spasmodic convulsions or 'shama fits'. I had learned from my more experienced shama-keeping friend that this can be minimized by supplementing with vitamin B-complex on a daily basis.

My shamas are fed on a diet high in total protein. Their main diet is my home-made dry pellets, made from food ingredients with high protein contents. They are also given some ant eggs and live insects daily and they do well on such a diet, except that this high protein diet and most probably the unbalanced protein in the diet, is the most likely cause of the spasmodic convulsions. I had in the past, experimented with lower protein commercial pellets without live food supplements and such diets do not cause spasmodic convulsions in my shamas. The similar high protein diet that I also feed to other insectivorous birds did not cause them to go into spasmodic convulsions indicating that captive shamas on a diet that is high in protein are more susceptible to this condition.

A high protein diet will require an increase in the level of vitamin B6 dependant enzymes to metabolise the excess amino acids. Sufficient B6 must be present in such a diet otherwise the shama could go into spasmodic convulsions. From experiences, milder symptoms of B6 deficiency include hyper-excitability, such as a tame bird suddenly behaving like a newly wild-caught. This can sometimes precede the spasmodic convulsion.

The classic shama fit will present itself with the bird lying on its side or back, on the cage floor,
unable to be in an upright position. The neck is sometimes fully folded back and touching its back, like a chicken with its throat slit. When touched, it will kick wildly in the air. When held in the hand, it is fully conscious and may even peck at the hand strongly in retaliation. This condition is reversible almost all the time by administering a high oral dose of B6 or B complex. Within half an hour after the oral dose, the bird will be back on its feet and on the perch. The B vitamins are water soluble and except for B12, excesses are excreted. There is very little risk of toxicity from an overdose and a high oral dose of B6 should be given to revive a shama in spasmodic convulsion.

For some unexplainable reasons, quite often our favorite birds are jinxed to be more prone to bad-luck situations, accidents, illness, escapes, etc. One evening sometime ago, I returned home to find my favorite shama having a spasmodic convulsion. I had not replenished my stock of B-complex and the only ones left were already past their expiry date. I pounded one of these tablets into powder and mixed in a little water to form a suspension only to realize that I am also out of syringes. I have to use a straw in the end to administer the vitamin. Fortunately, his luck had not totally run out on him on that day and he recovered from the fit. I am never without supply of B-complex and syringes ever since.


John Mayer - I don't need no doctor 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jeffrey,

    Can I check where you buy your de-bittered brewer’s yeast from in Singapore? Been to supermarts and baking supplies shops and could only find the regular type. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got them through David. I think it is from GNC. It would be nice to know who I am communicating with if you would leave a name and email next time. Thanks pal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi...

    jeffery .. i just want to check with u ...i read yr article abt spasmodic convulsions.... i cant really understand abt spasmodic convulsion.... and now i bought p28 food which in hi-protein highly fortified 14 amino acids 14 vitamins and 15 mineral ..do u think it suitable for my shama ..currently i feed my shama with emas 10 food from malaysia with 4 cricket daily ..but its seem like the emas 10 food ....so i thought of changing the food to p28 food .. need yr advise pls

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Sorry I just saw your comments regarding emas and p28. It will be better to email me for further discussions.

    ReplyDelete